Frequently asked questions about the Copy to Slingbox feature of SlingPlayer
What is Copy to Slingbox?
The Copy to Slingbox feature copies pictures and videos from your iPhone/iPod touch, or from your Android smartphone, to a USB 2.0 storage device that you connect to your Slingbox 500. You can then view your smartphone pictures and videos on your TV!
And with the AutoSync feature, you can copy pictures and videos automatically from your smartphone's Camera Roll album to your USB drive ... just launch SlingPlayer on your smartphone within your home Wi-Fi network. You can also manually copy the files by clicking a button.
What hardware/software do I need to use it?
All you need is:
- A Slingbox 500
- A USB 2.0-compatible storage device (such as a USB 2.0 thumb drive, or a USB 2.0 hard drive)
- The latest version of SlingPlayer for your iPhone or Android smartphone. Be sure to check for updates!
How do I use it?
Here are the steps to get up and running with the Copy to Slingbox feature:
- Using your TV and the remote control that came with your Slingbox 500, press the topmost (Sling logo) button.
You should see the Slingbox 500 menu on your TV screen.
- Connect the USB 2.0 drive to your Slingbox 500.
After a moment, you'll see a message on your TV screen that offers to help you set up your USB storage device.
- Click Next on the TV screen by pressing OK on the Slingbox 500 remote control.
- Choose the folder where you want pictures and videos to be stored on the USB drive, then click Next.
That's all you need to do for setup! At any time, you can change the USB device or its target folder.
- Launch SlingPlayer from your smartphone, then tap My Media.
Be sure to that you have the latest version of SlingPlayer for your smartphone.
- Tap Browse Phone.
- Tap the album from which you want to copy pictures and/or videos.
- Tap Copy to Slingbox.
The pictures or videos begin copying to the USB device immediately. If you have a lot of pictures/videos, you might want to connect your smartphone to its charger.
- Tap AutoSync to ON if you want to copy pictures and videos from your Camera Roll album automatically, any time you're within your network and SlingPlayer is running on your smartphone. You can disable this feature at any time.
- When the process completes, press the top (Sling logo) button on the Slingbox 500 remote.
- Navigate to select the folder where your pictures are stored, then either Photos or Videos, then Folder or Date Created.
- Press OK on the remote control to select the folder.
You see thumbnail images of your pictures. Use the remote control's navigation keys to move around. Press OK to view an image.
- Press Play on your remote to see a slideshow, or press Stop to go back to the thumbnails.
- Press the Options key to see viewing options. Press Options again to hide the viewing options.
- Press the remote control Back button (circular arrow) to choose another folder, or to return to the Slingbox 500 main menu.
- Before disconnecting your USB drive, be sure to return to the Slingbox 500 main menu, choose Settings, and then choose Eject USB. This prepares your USB for ejection without any file damage.
- For the Copy to Slingbox feature to work, you must first launch SlingPlayer or have it active on your smartphone. The AutoSync feature only works with your smartphone's Camera Roll album.
Can I shut the Copy to Slingbox feature off if I don't want to use it?
Absolutely! You only use the Copy to Slingbox feature if you want to. Further, the AutoSync feature is disabled by default. Unless you enable it, or run the Copy to Slingbox feature manually, nothing is copied from your smartphone to the USB storage that's attached to your Slingbox 500.
Can I copy pictures and videos from my smartphone, and then make them available to viewers on the Internet via my Slingbox 500?
No, the pictures and videos that you copy to your Slingbox 500 can only be viewed with the TV that's attached to your Slingbox. We're looking into possibly expanding this feature, but currently, we have no additional information.
Can I use this feature with my iPad, or my Android tablet?
Not at this time. The Copy to Slingbox feature only supports iPhone/iPod touch models and Android smartphones that are running the latest version of SlingPlayer.
What types of USB 2.0 drives are supported?
Any USB drive (hard disk, thumb drive, etc.) with a capacity less than 3 terabytes.
What types of disk file systems are currently supported?
The Copy to Slingbox feature supports USB 2.0 drives formatted using any of these formats:
What file types of pictures can the Copy to Slingbox feature support?
It can support these picture file formats:
What file types of videos can the Copy to Slingbox feature support?
It can support these video containers:
- ASF (wmv, wma)
- MKV (mkv)
- MPEG2PS (mpg, mpeg, vob)
- MPEG2TS (mpg, mpg2, ts, mts, m2ts)
- MP4 (.mp4, .mov, .m4v)
- NOT SUPPORTED: 3TB HDD
How can I delete items that were copied to my USB storage via the Copy to Slingbox feature?
There is currently no way to delete a file from the USB storage device using the Slingbox 500 TV interface. Instead, do this:
- From the Slingbox 500 TV interface, select Settings, then Eject USB.
- Disconnect the USB storage device from your Slingbox.
- Connect the USB storage device to your computer.
- Delete the file(s) using your computer.
With the My Media feature, included with every Slingbox 500, you can display your smartphone's pictures and videos on your TV screen at home. And when you're away from home, you can share your pictures and videos on your computer screen, your iPhone, or your Android smartphone, too!
Here are the most commonly asked questions about the Watch on TV feature of SlingPlayer.